After removing the steering column, drive shaft, and transmission, our next step was to remove the water jacket cover and timing chain cover for inspection. We also removed the cast aluminum 21" fan and the aluminum valve covers.
21" Cast Aluminum Fan
One of Two Valve Covers After Restoration
This picture clearly shows the large steel u shaped front engine mount. The engine is suspended on a large pivot pin that is attached the center of the mount. The pin is held by a bracket that is fastened to the crank case by two large bolts. These same bolts pass through the crank case and the front main bearing cap. These bolts secure the main bearing cap as well as the engine mount. The front pivoting pin in conjunction with the two rigid rear motor mounts create a flexible three point suspension system.
The front engine mount is bolted to both sides of the chassis frame with two large hardened bolts. The rear engine mounts are an integral part of the aluminum crankcase casting and fastened to the frame by two large hardened bolts. The front bolts were easy to access and drive out with a pin punch. The rear bolts had very limited access space in a pocket area in the casting, another tedious and frustrating situation!
This view shows the front of the engine with the timing cover removed. Before we could remove the timing cover we first had to unscrew the crank hole cover. Which looks just like a huge nickel plated acorn nut. Next we unscrewed the hand crank housing from the timing cover. This enabled us to remove the timing cover. We wanted to inspect the timing sprockets and chains as we had been told that they would need to be replaced.
We decided to remove the fenders and the headlight bar before lifting the engine, to prevent damage and give us more room. In order to remove the headlight bar, one must first remove both fenders as the headlight bar attaches to the inside fender bracket. Also the headlight stanchions pass through the headlight bar. After both fenders are removed the headlight bar can be lifted up and away from the stanchions.
The cast aluminum engine pan was removed for initial inspection and to reduce weight for lifting purposes.
Glenn the owner on the left, and John our machinist and master mechanic on the right
Mark, our shop foreman handles many of the really tough jobs. Our hydraulic engine hoist did lift the engine but it was at the limit of its capacity.
It was a huge relief to finally have the engine, flywheel and clutch assembly out and ready for restoration!